VMware Cloud Community
Nabilz
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Customization vCenter 5.0 not applied to 2008R2 template

Hi all ,

i have a fresh install of an vsphere 5.1 plateform ,managed with a vcenter  5.0 ,

i ve installed a clean windows  2008R2 SP1 vm , installed vmtools , patches from ms and nthing more ,no domaine , no antivirus , no applications ,nothing just windows . after that shut it down , and convert into template .

when deployin a new VM from the template using the customization assistant ,it deplye the VM but dont apply the costumization ,after many hour troublshooting , i got to reboot manually the VM to get in the second shot the error attached .. it says in frensh that an error occured during VM personnalization ,and i have to consult the logs undert < no log >  .... when i look for the log file under windows\temp\vmare-inc\ .. nothing there no log file ...

1234.png

any ideas plz ?? i ve tried everysingle soltion found here at the forum .. changine the admin account , rebooting ,etc etc ....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you cannot manage ESXi 5.1 Hosts with vCenter 5.0.x.

0 Kudos
Nabilz
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it was a typing mistake , my vCenter is 5.1

vcenter.png

0 Kudos
Nabilz
Contributor
Contributor

hey guys ..

any updates .. no one ?? nothing ?? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Kindly go through the below link , Might solve your problem.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201414...

And if not Can you share the print screen of error message and logs when you are trying to create a VM

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
Nabilz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi UmeshAhuja  ,

i have activate  windows as mentioned in the KB and re run the process of deploying the template , still nothing , the cutomization did not apply to the guest !

here's the screenshot , what logs do you need  ? and where can  i found them ?

thanks for help

error.png

0 Kudos
Nabilz
Contributor
Contributor

Héllo guys ..

i m wondering no one got this to work ? o had same situation ??

😕

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

You need to create your own sysprep file as below

• Install 2008 R2

• Login as administrator and add VMtools and your base setting tweakes etc.

• Set Profile Tweaks, Note that not all prfile adjustments will keep like.. IE settings etc, but GPO would be best for those things anyway..

• Clean everything up defrag etc..

• Create unattend.xml with waik.. utilizing copyprofile=true setting ie. my file here.

• &lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt;
                                                                             &lt;unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"&gt;
                                                                                 &lt;settings pass="specialize"&gt;
                                                                                     &lt;component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"&gt;
                                                                                         &lt;RegisteredOrganization&gt;Organization&lt;/RegisteredOrganization&gt;
                                                                                         &lt;RegisteredOwner&gt;User&lt;/RegisteredOwner&gt;
                                                                                         &lt;CopyProfile&gt;true&lt;/CopyProfile&gt;
                                                                                     &lt;/component&gt;
                                                                                 &lt;/settings&gt;
                                                                                 &lt;cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:f:/sources/install.wim#Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARD" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /&gt;
                                                                             &lt;/unattend&gt;

• Place unattend.xml file in c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ folder

• Change Directory to: c:\windows\system32\sysprep and run sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

• After Machine shuts down .. power back up and finish mini setup chaning admin password etc..

• Shut machine back down.

• For our environment ESX 3.5 u5 and VC 2.5u5 ... had to change Guest OS type to Windows 2008 64bit (non R2) to enable the ability to add guest cutomization...

• Clone vm to template.

• At this point i could create VM from template and choose my guest customization for name, domain join, IP etc..

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
mtimley
Contributor
Contributor

Do you install localized version of Windows?
I have the same issue when I tried to deploy russian version of Windows - customization process didn't start Sysprep. Probably the source of the problem is in path to sysprep answer file, which contains non-ANSI characters. In my example: "C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-система"

0 Kudos