VMware Cloud Community
ccsmse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest Customization for VMs deployed from template stopped working

Hi all,

(Environment: vCenter and 10 ESXi 5.1 hosts running Build #3070626)

We have a 2012R2 template and a customization specification file we use to to deploy Server 2012R2 VMs. This has worked fine for quite some time. After the Christmas break it no longer seems to work properly, and we havn't knowingly changed anything to cause this. We patched our ESXi hosts to Build #3070626 on the 6th October, but have deployed VMs from template since then, without issue.

We stage everything for the VM in advance (ie AD object and DNS entry). Then when powering up the deployed VM, sysprep runs but doesn't seem to apply any of the settings in the customization file (ie renaming the VM, setting the Admin password, joining the domain etc). If we power cycle the VM, sysprep runs again, but again, doesn't do anything.

I've attached the content of my guestcust.log file from a deployed VM (see below), but i can't see any clues as to the problem. I thought at first the error on the first line was significant, until I found it is also present on VMs that have been successfully been deployed from this template in the past, so this is possibly a red herring.

Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting this?

TIA

Mark

==========

guestcust.log

==========

Could not query rescheduled value in registry (The system cannot find the file specified.)

Detected Windows Sysprep Respecialize operation.

Copying files from C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw7DEB.tmp to C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw8A3E.tmp.

Rescheduling Guest OS Customization.

Executing command C:\Windows\system32\schtasks.exe /create /sc ONSTART /rl HIGHEST /np /z /v1 /ru SYSTEM /tr "C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw8A3E.tmp\guestcustutil.exe customize -sealparam \"/quiet /generalize /oobe /reboot\" -nics 4000 -schedulenativeunobfusc" /tn "VMware Guest OS Customization Task"

Scheduled Guest OS Customization Task invoked.

Removing scheduled Guest OS Customization task.

Executing command C:\Windows\system32\schtasks.exe /delete /f /tn "VMware Guest OS Customization Task"

Customization in progress set to 1 at 2016-Jan-11 18:32:42

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

Successfully opened key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

Size of reg_multi_sz 27.

Read multi_sz value from registry autocheck autochk /q /v *, size 27.

string value from registry autocheck autochk /q /v *.

Returning 1 elements

Got BootExecute from session mgr.

Native App sysprepDecrypter.exe, arguments ''

Copied file sysprepDecrypter.exe to C:\Windows\system32\sysprepDecrypter.exe

Updated boot execute value.

Successfully created/opened key SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\Guest Customization\

New boot execute:

autocheck autochk /q /v *

sysprepDecrypter.exe

System Drive: C:

Moving directory 'sysprep' to 'C:'

select * from win32_networkadapter where Manufacturer != 'Microsoft' and ServiceName != 'VMnetAdapter' and  manufacturer is not null and MACAddress is not null

Found 1 objects. Pointer f049a8. return code 0(0x0)

Found 0 objects. Pointer 0. return code 1(0x1)

Returning value 00:50:56:B0:70:46 for system property

Setting dhcp for nic # 0

Returning value \\VMT-W2K12R2\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="10" for system property

ASSOCIATORS OF {\\VMT-W2K12R2\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="10"} where ResultClass = Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration

Found 1 objects. Pointer eee290. return code 0(0x0)

Found 0 objects. Pointer 0. return code 1(0x1)

Clearing gateway ip addresses.

Enabling DHCP on the computer

Returning value \\VMT-W2K12R2\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=10 for system property

Setting DNS Server to ip

Executing command C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:C:\sysprep\sysprep.xml

Successfully executed command C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:C:\sysprep\sysprep.xml

Trying to connect network interfaces, attempt 1

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 103 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 103 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000', reply='queryNicsSupported', len=18, status=1

Got VMX response 'queryNicsSupported'

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000', reply='connected', len=9, status=1

Got VMX response 'connected'

The network interfaces are connected on 0 second

=============================================

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ccsmse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I fixed this myself in the end.

I created a new customization file with exactly the same settings as the old file, and this worked. I can only assume that the old customization file was corrupted in some way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ccsmse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I fixed this myself in the end.

I created a new customization file with exactly the same settings as the old file, and this worked. I can only assume that the old customization file was corrupted in some way.

0 Kudos