VMware Cloud Community
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Grayed disk properties - unable edit

Hi guys,

Scenario:

Virtual machine with 2 disks. We are not able to edit setting to provide additional space to these disk.

NO snapshots are actives.

The only thing is some days before, the mv was cloned.

Now we need to provide space and setting to both of those disks are grayed.

I think these issues are related to clone and snapshots but currently there is not any snapshot running, at least we see.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the largest snapshot (~50GB) it looks like this snapshot has been created a long time ago. If no snapshot shows up in the Snapshot Manager, create a new snapshot and then click "Delete All", which will merge all data from all snapshots into the base disk. Due to the size of the snapshot, this may take a long time (maybe hours) and affect performance. So I recommend you do this after business hours.

Caution: Make sure that - in case you run an image based backup - you disable the backup to ensure no other snapshot is created while the deletion process is running!

Just in case you posted in the wrong forum and you are running ESXi 4.0 Update1 or older, you will temporarily need ~50GB of additional disk space on the datastore!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you check, to which file does hard disk is pointing to in vm Properties. is it vm1-00000xx.vmdk or just vm1.vmdk ?

I assume it is showing greyed out though VM is powered off.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you tried shutting down VM and see if you can EDIT the Virtual HDD?

Post the screenshot of the VM properties

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply,

No, I have not rebooted the mv. It is on production environment so I would like to avoid that.

Yes, there are files with  000001.

Athached an image of datastore for that mv.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

those 00001 files looks like snapshots.

so you have no snapshots in snapshot manager?this thread is a little related to you http://communities.vmware.com/message/2077144#2077144

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the largest snapshot (~50GB) it looks like this snapshot has been created a long time ago. If no snapshot shows up in the Snapshot Manager, create a new snapshot and then click "Delete All", which will merge all data from all snapshots into the base disk. Due to the size of the snapshot, this may take a long time (maybe hours) and affect performance. So I recommend you do this after business hours.

Caution: Make sure that - in case you run an image based backup - you disable the backup to ensure no other snapshot is created while the deletion process is running!

Just in case you posted in the wrong forum and you are running ESXi 4.0 Update1 or older, you will temporarily need ~50GB of additional disk space on the datastore!

André

0 Kudos
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for the deay.

Andre, It was a great help for me. I lunched a new snapshot, then DELETE ALL. It removed all snapshots suscesfully.

It was not necessary to reboot. It was nice.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos