VMware Cloud Community
supernet33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got ESXI, up and running but I changed NIC settings, how can i Fix? Help plz!

So I got ESXi running perfect on my server but stupid ass me were

playing with the NIC card, and i changed it to 1000 Gigbit, and it was

set to 100mb and i forgot i was on a 10/100 switch,

anyway now i

can't ping or connect to the esxi box..

What should I do?

The

server is a dual nic, should i hook up the other network cable and

configure that? will it work?

I changed it via vSphere client...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hook up a display, keyboard and mouse to the host (just like when you installed it and initially configured ESXi)... Log into the host interface and select the "Configure Management Network" option. Uncheck the existing NIC and select the second NIC. You'll need to back out, saving the configuration when prompted, and letting it restart the management network. You should be able to manage the host by connecting the vSphere client to it again. Then you'll need to change the network configuration to match the new settings, or fix the NIC you originally selected to use.

Is the host inside a data center/server room? Why is the switch only at 100Mb? If the switch is capable of going to Gb, request that the ports the ESXi host will use be increased to Gb, full duplex. Otherwise, you're creating a bottleneck where one can be easily avoided.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You could connect the second NIC/port to the switch to connect up, but you'll need to change the management port to the other NIC (from the ESXi server itself). You'll want to use both NIC's (at least) so that you don't overtax the one NIC when you start setting up VM's... Make a seperate vSwitch for the VM traffic that uses the other NIC. I would also plan on adding at least a dual port NIC to the host as soon as possible.

VMware VCP4

supernet33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, how do I do that???

And once I do that, how do I get the old one working..

Thank you VERY much!

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hook up a display, keyboard and mouse to the host (just like when you installed it and initially configured ESXi)... Log into the host interface and select the "Configure Management Network" option. Uncheck the existing NIC and select the second NIC. You'll need to back out, saving the configuration when prompted, and letting it restart the management network. You should be able to manage the host by connecting the vSphere client to it again. Then you'll need to change the network configuration to match the new settings, or fix the NIC you originally selected to use.

Is the host inside a data center/server room? Why is the switch only at 100Mb? If the switch is capable of going to Gb, request that the ports the ESXi host will use be increased to Gb, full duplex. Otherwise, you're creating a bottleneck where one can be easily avoided.

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
supernet33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much again, sorry I am brand new to ESXi

How would I fix the NIC that i had configued already? Any idea?

Also how do I setup that vSwitch?

Thanks soo much, you don't understand how thankful I am

edit: This is just a test stage right now, and i thought the switch was a gigbit for a second, that is why i changed it on ESXi..

So yea, any idea to my questions? , thanks again

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sent you a private message with my email addy so I can send screen shots and such...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos