VMware Cloud Community
kitechgrp
Contributor
Contributor

Gigabit issue

We have an Intel S5520HC motherboard with two gigabit ports, and an addon card (85276 chipset) with two gigabit ports. So we have 4 ports altogether, and it is configured with each port on their own virtual switch. One is for management, and the other three are dedicated to servers (there are three server 2008 servers). When set to autonegotiate, they get 1Gbps, but the server then cannot ping anything and is lost. If it is set to 1Gbps, it does the same. If set to 100Mbps it works fine. We have updated the firmware, and even tried it as a passthrough, and can't get any of the ports to work at 1Gbps. We have also tried plugging them into a different switch (normally in a smart switch, but tested in a normal gigabit switch as well), and no dice. In the smart switch we also tried it as autonegotiate and set as 1Gbps without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know whether it is still necessary with the latest downloads but there are Intel drivers as a separate download from the download center.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
kitechgrp
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, that's the one we used to update it. We tried an older one first, then realized it was not from the right place, and got that driver.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try one at a time. Disable on board try add on. There were some posts a while back about 4 port nics working but not dual? I'll see if I can find the reference.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
wobbe98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bad patch cables? Check if you can run a gigabit using a desktop pc. Check the switch port for CRC and other errors.

0 Kudos