VMware Cloud Community
BastiaanvanH
Contributor
Contributor

Ghosted iSCSI Static Target cannot be removed

Hi,

I've got a very very strange problem. I have a bogus iSCSI target entry on one of the hardware iSCSI initiators.

<code>

~ # vmkiscsi-tool -S vmhba4
STATIC DISCOVERY TARGET
   NAME     : iscsi
   ADDRESS  : 192.168.198.254:3260
~ # vmkiscsi-tool -S vmhba4
STATIC DISCOVERY TARGET
   NAME     : iscsi
   ADDRESS  : 192.168.198.254:3260
</code>

As you can see the target name is iscsi, which should be a full IQDN. When i try to remove the entry via GUI and CLI, it states that it has been removed succesfully. But when going to the CLI and populate the target list, the entry is still there. I have completely reinstalled the HP BL485 G7 blade with ESXi (5.0), but the entry is still there... yes, still there. I think it's cached somewere in the iSCSI hardware controller.

I've configured the networking via HP Virtual Connect with two Flex-10 interconnects. I use the onboard LOMS, Emulex FlexFabruk One Connect.

- LOMa-1: 5GB / Production & Management

- LOMb-1: 5GB / Production & Management

- LOMa-2: 2GB / vMotion

- LOMb-2: 2GB / vMotion

- LOMa-3: 3GB / iSCSI

- LOMb-3: 3GB / iSCSI

Things tried:

- Delete iSCSI DB: vmkiscsid.db
- Re-installed ESXI, formatted the disk

- Checked for latest Oneconnect firmware. I'm on OneConnect-Flash-4.0.360.20

Any input is very welcome.

Kind Regards,

Bastiaan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ragmon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Are you using Dynamic Discovery in the iSCSI Initiator Properties?

Could is be possible that the "Bogus" IP Address is automatically populated by the storage array?

Can you provide the output of the following command?

vmkiscsi-tool -T vmhba4

Also, do you have version 4.0.317.0 of Emulex be2iscsi driver installed?

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi50_emulex_oce11100_403170/dHRAYnRqdCViZHAlJQ==

BastiaanvanH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I removed the dynamic discovery IP's. But still this bogus iscsi target is populated.

I can't see how this bogus target is populated from the sotrage array, non of the other hba's get it while the access is the same.

When running the command "vmkiscsi-tool -T vmhba4" i get something weard:

~ # vmkiscsi-tool -T vmhba4
Error: Bad Parameter for the API

When running it on the other vmhba3 the output is correct.

I have the latest drivers & firmware's installed.

Any help is welcome...

0 Kudos
ragmon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is it just one host that you are experiencing this issue with?

If that is the case, as a last resort, you might want to try reinstalling ESXi using the HP customized image.

An HP Customized build of VMware ESXi 5.0 is available for download here: (free registration required)

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

0 Kudos
BastiaanvanH
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I've managed to fix the issue with the help of support. They pointed me to look into the BIOS of the HBA card. There i found the bogus target in the iSCSI target list. When configuring targets in ESX they get pushed via the Emulex driver into the HBA card, so you can use them to boot of. Somehow something got wrong when the driver pushed a bogus entry into the HBA card. And ESX was not able to remove it again because the entry was not compliant with a iSCSI iqdn.

So solution: boot into the HBA card bios via CTRL-S and remove the iSCSI target there.

0 Kudos