VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting more than 1gbps networking in/out of a guest?

Not quite as dumb a question as it may first appear hopefully.

In our main computer room we have an ESX 3.5 setup (which will at some point soone be vSphere) where our VM's (including a file server) go into a vSwitch which has a pair of physical NICs going into our core switch, which is a Procurve 5406zl.

Our backup (as in the server which runs backups) server is a physical Dell PE1950 with a pair of Broadcom NICs and is also connected to a Procurve 5406zl.

Between the two procurves there's a 10gbps link.

The issue, and it's not a show stopper, is that AIUI regardless of any form of trunking/bonding that I do within the switch or ESX, the most that I can get in a conversation between two machines is restricted to 1gbps, all the teaming/trunking options just "aggregate" these links to make them easier to manage.

The only time this causes us an issue is during our backup window as it would be nice to be able to make use of that 10gbps link between the switches.

Is there anything I can do that would see more than 1gbps "host to host" when the file server is backed up to the backup server?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just an idea.

Assumptions:

1.) You teamed your backup server's NICs for link aggregation (2GB/s)

2.) You run a backup software which is capable of assigning NICs to backup jobs

Configuration:

- Create two new port groups on your vSwitch

- For PG1 configure pNIC1 as active, pNIC2 as standby

- For PG2 configure pNIC2 as active, pNIC1 as standby

- Add a second vNIC to your VM

- Attach vNIC1 to PG1

- Attach vNIC2 to PG2

With this configuration the traffic of each vNIC should use a separate pNIC. Also there is no issue in case of a pNIC failure.

Now you modify your backup jobs accordingly.

Hope that makes sense.

André

0 Kudos