VMware Cloud Community
Sly
Contributor
Contributor

General ESXi 4.1 VMCI question

I am running multiple hosts with ESX 4.0 classic and ESXi 4.1 and have VMCI turned off for all VMs. Has anyone seen that turning on VMCI improves virtual machine performance in the case when there is not a requirement for two VMs to communicate directly with one another?

I see that VMCI is supposed to improve performance between the VM and the host hypervisor, which is why I ask. For this question I am not concerned about any security implications turning on VMCI may have.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't expect an improvement unless the apps in the VMs were updated to support VMCI sockets. That would also apply to host / VM operations. What aspects of host to VM communication have you seen improvements in?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Sly
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried this yet and do not know that much about VMCI. I see that it is meant to improve VM to VM communication as well as VM to hypervisor communication, so I was wondering if turning this on would improve the performance of the VM itself or if this really only meant to improve inter-VM communication performance.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It would only improve performance after applications were updated to use VMCI sockets (instead of a virtual NIC and TCP/IP).

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.