VMware Cloud Community
imrazor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

GPU/USB passthrough successful but mouse disconnecting intermittently

I have successfully gotten GPU and USB passthrough working on a personal device (Ryzen 5700G, Asus B350-F motherboard, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4070) and have working Windows VM. 'Working' here means that the GPU passthrough works perfectly, though I am having a minor but annoying issue with USB passthrough.

I have successfully passed through the keyboard and mouse to the VM, though this is a somewhat different process than most USB devices. Because ESXi normally reserves the keyboard and mouse exclusively for the host, there's a rather obscure process for reserving the mouse for a VM. That seems successful, because I can actually use the keyboard, and to some extent the mouse. However the mouse intermittently disconnects from the VM, then reconnects within several seconds, accompanied by the usual audible USB alerts from Windows.

I've tried disabling all power management at the host level, as well as in the Windows VM and disabled some power saving settings on the USB stack. That's reduced the disconnects by about half, but they're still happening. The odd thing is that after the VM has been dedicated to a specific task for a few minutes, the problem settles down quite a bit though disconnects still happen.

Any thoughts for resolving or troubleshooting this problem? The only thing I can think to do is enable MSI interrupts on the Nvidia card, but I'm not sure how much or if that will help. 

EDIT: A few ideas occurred to me in the past few minutes: eliminate the usb hub the mouse is connected to (i.e., plug directly into the host) and/or install a PCIE USB controller and pass through the whole controller. I could also try a different mouse altogether, but that would be painful due to the Byzantine process of passing through USB HID devices.

0 Kudos
0 Replies