VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Free space on LUN

Aloha,

Is the recommended free space on a LUN still 15%??

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The percentage of the free disk you should keep depends on the datastore size and whether you use snapshots for e.g. backups. The 15% you mentioned is a rule of thumb value which should be ok in most cases, but you may need to adjust it depending on your specific requirements.

André

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The datastores are 400gb. vRanger creates (then deletes) snapshots three nights a week. Out of 70+ VMs, we have maybe 2 or 3 snapshots active at a time. And I am a real pain in the ass to people about letting snapshots linger.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

And I am a real pain in the ass to people about letting snapshots linger

My colleagues say the same about me Smiley Wink

With 400 GB datastores, I guess 15% (60GB) is more than sufficient for the nightly snapshots (unless you have e.g. high performance databases in place)

André

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No high performance databases here - moreso at midnight. Here's the deal. We are cramped for space and won't see any relief for 2-3 months. I'd like to squeeze more out of what I have WITHOUT endangering anything. I am staring at (3) 400gb LUNS each with 50+gb free, and saying "damn, I sure could use some of that".

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

there is nothing wrong with being a pain in the ass regarding snapshots Smiley Happy  it is a healthy view point to be worried about them they can cause you a whole world of pain.  vRanger does make a good job of clearing up their snaps but monitoring is important.  as a rule of thumb I personally choose between 15-20% on a datastore.  This also covers miscalculation in VM sizes and potential growth of Memory files.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos