VMware Cloud Community
spec0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Free Licence of ESXi 4.1 -Licence HELP !!!!

Hi All,

I have downloaded Vmware ESXi 4.1 and i have been given a free licence key to be more specific the serial number history page show the license type as EVAL.

My server spec is  HP PROLIANT DL380 G5 2x XEON E5450 QUAD-CORE 32GB 8 X 146GB SAS

• How many cores can i use with the EVAL( the free licence i believe, please correct me if iam wrong ) license.
  • How many processors can i use with the EVAL licence.
  • How do i upgrade it

I would also like to look at the Standard version

• How do i buy this licence, is it per core or per processor
  • What is the price of this licence, is a one time pay or is it yearly

How is the Vcenter server licenced.

The licencing process seems very confusing, guys please advice in this direction.

Thank You All.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

You can read the following vmware communities thread for more information on vCPUs

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/241669?tstart=0

Personally I have not allocated more than 4 vCPUs to a VM as I had read somewhere performance of VM deteriorates when you allocate more vCPUs to your VM, so you need to check how many VMs you are running in your server as well.

Regards,

Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the free version of VMware ESXi you can check the Configuration tab and view the Licensed features, this will provide you details of how many vCPUs you can assign to a VM. It also depends on the OS of the VM as to how many vCPUs can be allocated.

The licensed features will show you the physical server's processor and cores and accordingly you can add/allocate the vCPUs to your VM

example if your host server has 2 x Quad core processor this will allow you to add upto 8 vCPUs to your VMs, but this will also depend on the VM OS to handle these many vCPUs.

Hope this will give you some insight on the vCPUs and host server processor and cores.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
spec0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Nikil,

Does this mean that there is no core restriction on the free licence, what is the max no of cores that i can utilize with this free licence.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

You can read the following vmware communities thread for more information on vCPUs

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/241669?tstart=0

Personally I have not allocated more than 4 vCPUs to a VM as I had read somewhere performance of VM deteriorates when you allocate more vCPUs to your VM, so you need to check how many VMs you are running in your server as well.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
spec0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Could any body tell me about the pricing and licencing for Vmware Esxi 4.1, i want to use vMotion.

0 Kudos
madgrendel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I downloaded the ISO of the supposed free Vsphere Hypervisor but after setting everything up, when I connect to the ESXi machine with the vSphere Client it still says I have 60 days to enter a license.  I thought it was free and where do I apply the key I got when I clicked on the link to download the ISO manually.

This is so confusing.  I've installed everything twice and I'm still getting some sort of trial version here.  Ther ESXi server says evaluation in the license info but I can't figure out how to change it to the one they gave me???

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you registered for the download, you would have been sent an email as to where to acquire your non expiring key.  That key needs to be installed onto your ESXi Host under configuration--licensed features--edit

0 Kudos
madgrendel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"That key needs to be installed onto your ESXi Host under configuration--licensed features--edit"

Where do I physically go to do this?  I have the key I just can't figure out where to put it.  I'm not a noob this just isn't in an obvious place for some reason.  Are you entering the key with the vSphere Client app, or the actual ESXi host machine that has a DOS like interface only.  I don't see in either place the locations you described "configuration--licensed features--edit"

Thanks for the quick reply!!

0 Kudos
madgrendel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind I found it in vSphere finally.... der

0 Kudos