VMware Cloud Community
w00f
Contributor
Contributor

Free Esxi and vCPU/vCore per VM

Hello,

I'm actually running a ESXi 5 with 2 XEON * 4 Core and i also have my personnal computer (Core i7)+some other thigns lying around.

I want to cut down on hardware and make a powerfull computer that i would be able to use for both my NAS, web hosting and working (RAW pictures + lightroom)

I saw some "not so high priced" Quad Opteron + possibility of 16core Opteron; that's be a total of 64cores.Each CPU would have it's 4*2GB of ram. I already have raid, etc. that i'll reuse.

I would like to be able to create a guest VM that will run win7 or win8 with all my cores affected to it (in a 2vCPU*32vCore way) so that windows 7 runs without cpu limitation (and running win 2008 R2 that i have a licence lying around from msdn is not that much something it'll like to do as not supported by Adobe)

I know there's limitation on vCPU for free version (8 if i remember) but i can't find anything on vCores; does someone have this info?

thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it doesn't matter how you present the vCPUs to the guest. The limit is always 8 (8 vCPUs, 1vCPU with 8 virtual cores or any other combination).

André

0 Kudos
w00f
Contributor
Contributor

What licence would i need to be able to map all core of four AMD 6128 (16 core) ?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

You require Enterprise Plus which support 32 vCPU per VM

VMware vSphere 5 - Essentials, Standard, Enterprise and Plus Kit

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Or upgrade to ESXi 5.1 where 32 vCPU is available for Enterprise License

Or wait for GA of ESXi 5.5 where you can assign as many  vCPU as your hardware server has logical cores with the Standard license

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos