VMware Cloud Community
krzyzak
Contributor
Contributor

Free ESXi server - services forwarding

Hello

I'm wondering how to solve the problem that I have. I've installed an ESXi on a server with public address pub.pub.pub.pub, on the esxi I wish to install 2-3 vm's (web srv, mail and some test machine). I would like all of them to be available from internet web server on 80/443 port, mail on 80/25/imaps port's and the other test server also. All of them should be also available on 22 port.

How can I do this with one public IP address?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Forget the virtualisation layer. How would you achieve this without VMware?

Answer is reverse proxy for 80/443 and use host headers to direct traffic accordingly. For SMTP if there are multiple hosts you need to pick one as your external host and have it relay onwards to others for specific zones.

For SSH, you need to either use a VPN to get management or assign each a different port.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
jspiel
Contributor
Contributor

As J1mbo said, forget the esxi part of the equation. Consider each VM as a separate server and do all like there was no ESXi involved.

But... I would not give the public address to the ESXi host. Either you ut a router/proxy in front of the ESXi host, either you make one of your VMs as proxy/router and it is the proxy/router (hardware or VM) that will get the public IP address and redirect port to the desired VMs.

-- Jayce Piel - IT Manager - F.F.Tir
0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

You would need additional firewall/router which can do forwarding, NAT.....etc.

On ESXi side, You can setup ESXi Host, create VMs, setup basic Virtual Networking and then Using Network firewall/router you can configured NAT and forwarding rules.

ESXi or virtual switches cannot do packet forwarding or NAT.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos