VMware Cloud Community
vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to enable CPU virtualization

I've been running ESXi 4.0.0 for a few months now. Tonight, I was poking around in the BIOS and noticed that CPU virtualization was disabled. Does that affect the performance of my VMs? Would I have to reinstall ESXi to get "CPU virtualization" benefits with CPU virtualization enabled, prior to install?

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No it will not affect the performance.you no need to reinstall.

After enabling VT in your system BIOS, you can first save your changes to the BIOS settings and then turn off power to the system. When you turn the system on again, your changes take effect. If you simply reboot the system without turning it off, VT is not enabled.

After you have power cycled the system, confirm that your system is capable of running 64bit guests

regards

Manic

Regards Manic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No it will not affect the performance.you no need to reinstall.

After enabling VT in your system BIOS, you can first save your changes to the BIOS settings and then turn off power to the system. When you turn the system on again, your changes take effect. If you simply reboot the system without turning it off, VT is not enabled.

After you have power cycled the system, confirm that your system is capable of running 64bit guests

regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

reffer the following KB to check the 64 bit guest os compatibility.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394...

regards

manic

Regards Manic
vmwadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, guys!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It may have an impact on performance, depending on your physical CPU and guest workload. See Virtual Machine Monitor Execution Modes: in VMware vSphere 4.0 for a discussion of choosing between hardware-assisted virtualization and binary translation.

0 Kudos