VMware Cloud Community
goofyseeker311
Contributor
Contributor

Fore-ground OS for the ESXi hypervisor, alt-tab if desired, between running os's, pcie pass-through

feature suggestion for any bare-metal hypervisor

fore-ground os on the physical console, if selected, pcie graphics pass-through, exclusive or shared.

namely, direct metal client os, not on top of a host, other than the hypervisor minimal just-in-time layer

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@goofyseeker311 

Am I right in thinking that you’re asking for ESXi to show the console of a VM directly on the physical server?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
goofyseeker311
Contributor
Contributor

yes

the current shutdown-only screen could have similar options than the web interface.

it could also have option to jump into the "kvm" of a vm, then "ctrl-alt-del" back to the start.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That will never be supported as it is highly dependent on the guest OS used...

But FWIW, there are people doing exactly that right now.
At least according to a number of posts I have read at the vmware reddit.
I suggest you ask there if you can't figure out how-to do this.

edit: to clarify.

Alt-tab or something similar to switch between guest-OS's is impossible as the graphics adapter is passed through to the guest OS directly. You can't take it away and then pass it to another guest OS as if nothing has happened. Abstracting that pass through graphics adapter to some sort of virtual adapter makes little sense for VMware to look into (if that would even be possible).

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
goofyseeker311
Contributor
Contributor

you dont need to care about what the os will do, just pass decisions to the os

0 Kudos
goofyseeker311
Contributor
Contributor

i'm not to be taking any advice from you, because you are not a believer, you are basing on law, it will taint me too

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

LOL, yeah sorry for trying to use logic in explaining how things work.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You'll give up hope at one pont, I see what your thinking, but it will never happen. Its been requested forbefore, but its not really something most enterprises need, and esxi is mostly for them. VMware workstation is a product that is more meant for having local access to the vms.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@goofyseeker311 

Moderator: Moved to ESXi Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos