VMware Cloud Community
GAPCABIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Flip Flop Mouse Wheel

Hello.  Sometimes I think that the boss just doesn't think we have enough to do so he sends us off on a wild goose chase.  Maybe there is a logical reason for this request but I just don't know what it is.

So here we go.

We have been asked to find a way to reverse the default behavior of the mouse scroll wheel for users who request it in their desktop VMs.  Yes, they want to roll the wheel down on their mouse and have the document scroll up and vice versa.  (Maybe they are gamers and would find this useful during their lunch hour or something.)

On a physical Windows PC there is a registry key called flipflopwheel that can be changed to do this.  In a VM though, that key does not exist.  In fact there do not appear to be any Mouse Hardware ID related keys in the registry.  There is nothing in VMTools that I can see to alter this behavior either.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Turn the mouse upside down??  I don't know man.. That's pretty frickin' weird.

0 Kudos
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Then the mouse isn't working at all...

pastedImage_1.png

I found a similar key at  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0F13\4&19f4fe01&0\Device Parameters

I tried to add it, reboot but still no go.. looks like the whole HID tree gets replaced when it's a VM

0 Kudos
cbriscar
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the opposite problem.  When I scroll down the window moves up and vice versa.  Very annoying and can't figure out how to change it.

0 Kudos
Penderwyd
Contributor
Contributor

The reason for this is simple and has nothing to do with gaming.  Mac UI adopts the philosophy that the user interacts thru the window with the page itself - as you would with a touch-screen, the rolling of the wheel up move the page up rather than the Microsoft adoption of it moving the scroll bar on the side of the window.

The more one uses touch screen and Mac, the more intuitive this FlipFlop becomes.   I have been using Mac for many years now and I usually reverse my scroll wheel on Windows machines.  Now that I am thrown into the VDI world, I am sore to find out that I cannot affect this change.

Somebody just shoot me. 

For years I ran VMWare Fusion on my Mac to get CAD software my clients required me to use, and I had control over the mouse.  Now I am working as a direct-employ and struggling to maintain a streamlined workflow on Windows 7 VDI.  Help us out VMWare.

0 Kudos
Penderwyd
Contributor
Contributor

WizMouse 1.7.0.3 from Antibody Software worked.  Would like VMWare to allow this setting in the VMWare Tools section or by Regedit.

0 Kudos