VMware Cloud Community
OsoRojo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First Time Install Question

I'm doing my first bare metal install and I've gotten myself confused.

I have a new Dell server with a Perc H710 and I downloaded the ESXi 5.5 Update 1 Driver Rollup 2 (Includes VMWare Tools) ISO. I also downloaded the Perc adapter driver file megaraid_sas-06.803.52.00-1742752.zip, because the H710 was not listed in the PDF that goes with the ISO.

The instructions for the Perc driver says to copy the VIB onto the ESX server. But how does the install work if the Perc drive has yet to be installed?

So I guess my real question is what is the correct steps to take to install ESXi onto my server?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the easiest was would be to download the DELL customized ESXi image. It should include all the drivers.

You can download 5.5u1 here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N509V

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the easiest was would be to download the DELL customized ESXi image. It should include all the drivers.

You can download 5.5u1 here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N509V

Regards

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"...But how does the install work if the Perc drive has yet to be installed?..."

Usually ESXi is not installed on main storage, but rather on usb-stick, compact-flash card, small ssd, or similar flash medium (some servers have already slot for it on motherboard, check yours). Basically it is nothing wrong with having ESXi and VM-datastore on the same storage, but it is always a good idea to keep them separated (i.e. if you later want to update driver for your perc-controller, it is safer to have it off-line).

If your motherboard/server is supported, installation on USB/CF should be no problem.Then you update ESXi with new drivers, smis-providers, etc, and after that your perc H710-controller is detected and ready to be used (if it was not recognized during ESXi-installation). Finally you create local datastore on that H710-array, format it, and use for VMs.

Just FYI, I personally use two small CF-cards (with CF-to-SATA adapters). On both of them I have (most of time) indentical copies of ESXi, but they are not in raid1, and act as safety-feature: If i screw esxi-patching somehow up and system does not start (or does not find datastore), I just reset server, go to bios, switch boot-device to the other CF and start with previous (unpatched) ESXi-version. I can do all this using remote-KVM, and it really did save me once (my server is in colo-center ~100 miles away)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
OsoRojo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys!

hmmm, How do I mark this answered?

0 Kudos