VMware Cloud Community
MRSIT
Contributor
Contributor

Firmware upgrade on Dell PE R710

Hi,

I am looking for a guidance to upgrade the firmware on Dell R710 and 2950 III which have ESXi4.1 Essentials installed.

Dell website has various options for firmware upgrade, but not sure which one is the best for me as well how to do it.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

Boot into the UEFI (System Services I thin it's called) and there's an option to update the firmware.  Point it at the ftp.dell.com site, select the directory (for my R510, I had to hard-code catalog as the directory name), and update the files directly from Dell's site.  It takes a while and a few reboots but it works.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am out of the office,.returning on 10/17/2011

0 Kudos
APJ_vm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can download the Dell software update DVD iso ( bootable ) as well as the firmware DVD . I choose to create a bootable USB stick and then on a different USB stick extracted the firmware iso on to that . Boot from the suu USB stick , once it loads plug the firmware USB stick in , and then select the firmware update option and point it to the USB stick .   Remember to ensure your bios is set to boot from USB 1st

MRSIT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for providing me with your suggestions. Is there a way where I can do it within the VMWare OS installed on them via CLI?

0 Kudos