VMware Cloud Community
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finding download and license

Been running ESXi 5.1 for some time, with a couple of starts last year on upgrades.   Today, using a 64 bit machine I had laying about, I dusted off the ESXi6.5 rollup CD I burned at that time and installed it.   Seems to be working fine so far.

But, before going any further, decided to find a license key.  And failed.   Logged in to My Vmware I find some pages are "not available" when I follow links and/or the steps in say  article 2107518 Downloading and licensing vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 6.x and 7.x).

Can someone give me a push please, this swing has stopped moving.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Joeseppi,

VMware pretty much only give the free license away for our current version of ESXi.

If you looking for a paid for license; you should find it in you my.vmware.com account or you could reach out to your TAM or Sales team.

You may find that a 6.x licenses key works for 6.5 😉

https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

I also just checked and I managed to log in and get a 6.x license key...

Maybe clear your browser cache and the usual webpage troubleshooting dance/ try incognito and a different browser...

I hope this helps you out.

joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh, free is fine with me. . . .

joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The link for 6 (6.7) worked and I could register and download the image,  But the link for ESXi7

https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7

worked, but I could not register.  Told me content is not available, displayed at:

https://maintenance.vmware.com/info4.html?source=evap&p=vsphere-eval-7&src=www_myvmware_us_evalscaro...

Thanks

joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And, yes, the 6.7 license was accepted. 

Thanks again.

d-e
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler
Hi,

Thank you all, for your feedback. No, this is not the OP, speaking. 😉

I am someone else who happens to be in a similar boat, as the OP (@Joeseppi), where the links that are supposed to be working, are not.

According to my profile account, it appears that I have "already registered" (and downloaded?) version 7.0 of EXSi. However, when I moved it over to a standalone offline Windows 7 system and tried using Rufus to create a USB boot stick with it and load it into a freshly zeroed desktop elsewhere, that machine somehow wouldn't take, even though it runs Windows 10 just fine, otherwise (I would just like a Hypervisor on it, is all).  The boot disk creation process done by Rufus once set, was "successful", so I am not sure why it did not take. I even shredded and reformatted it under FAT32...to ensure that it would be compatible under all platforms (OSX, Win, Linux).

I tried to load the v7.0 EXSi Hypervisor *.iso in Oracle VirtualBox with my Win7 system, just to see if it would be "hot swappable" between different virtual media methods. It didn't load, there...nor did it successfully boot from my said Win7 system, when tried (but Linux Mint boot sticks work fine on that system). 

Any idea why that could be?

I have tried ad nauseum to download version 6.7 and earlier, but for some reason the "manual download" buttons would not manifest a dialog box, asking where to save said product, on the system.

Both products are now officially "registered" under my account...but even though the "manual download" links are there, they somehow don't work...whether I am trying to dowload them using my mobile (Android) device, or on my OSX El Capitan.

If it means anything, the filename I downloaded was, "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-7.0.0-17839012.aarch64.iso". 

I tried running the checksums as well...and it visually appeared to be a complete download, without errors (when compared to the original md5, Sha1 and Sha2).

Looking to use this for ethical re-training purposes and for independent elderly family security, as well. It's taken enough hoops to get here...wondering what else needs to be done, please?

Thanks again and all of the best,

--D-E.

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

It sounds like you pulled down the wrong version for your hardware...

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-7.0.0-17839012.aarch64.iso is for ARM processors... (Raspberry pi and that line of product)

If your box was running Windows 7/10 I assume you are using an x64 Intel/AMD hardware platform.

Try:

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7

File name should be like:

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-7.0U2a-17867351.x86_64.iso

Good luck!

0 Kudos