VMware Cloud Community
AJenks
Contributor
Contributor

File transfer from VM (on isolated network) to client running VM Console ?

I am sure a number of other people have this requirement, but I haven't yet been able to find a satifactory solution.

If you have a VM that is isolated (it's virtual NICs are disable or on a network not accessible to your client machine) and you need to copy a file to (or from) this VM from/to your admin workstation, how can you do this ?

When running remote console to the VM you can obviously map your local CD or Floppy and transfer files this way, but I would ideally like to be able to mount a local workstation directory as a virtual CD or Floppy to my local machine, and then be able to map this a "drive" as a CD or floppy for the VM, giving me unrestricted read/write transfer of files between the VM and my local workstation through the console session.

I am not talking about mounting a ISO as a drive in a VM, I am talking about a way of facilitating file transfers between a VM and a fat machine that have no direct network connectivity and I am talking about a console to the VM (launched through the vSphere client), not a console session on the ESX host.

The only way I can see of achieving this at the moment would be to have a "helper VM" - put this on a shared network with the VM, copy the files, then disconnect from this network, move VM to the production network and copy files from helper to local fat machine. This seems a long winded way of doing it - so does copying the file via an physical floppy or CD mapped from the local machine.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I see no way beside connecting the local CD-ROM or .iso of your client. YOu may want to pack your files into an .iso file and connect that to the virtual CD-ROM.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos