VMware Cloud Community
fsckit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File foo.vmdk is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore -- only it's not

VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus, vCenter Server 5 Standard, ESXi 5.0, vSphere Web Client 5.5.

I added two new datastores to my datastore cluster. I want to migrate Virtual Machines to the new datastores, but I'm getting these "maximum size" errors.  The files referenced in the error message are only 10 GB vmdk files.  I can log in to one of the ESXi hosts, cd to the datastore mount location, and use the 'dd' command to create much larger files, so the file systems seem fine to me.

I created these datastores manually on the ESXi host like this:  vmkfstools -C vmfs5 -b 1m -S MyDataStore04 /dev/disks/naa.6000144000000010231b6dbdbdba01a:1

If I use vmkfstools to print the file system properties, they two new ones look the same as the two working file systems. Here is version and capacity:

VMFS-5.54 file system spanning 1 partitions.

Capacity : 268167020544, 267145707520 avail

The devices also look normal in the client, and they show 1 MB block size, and 250 GB capacity.

Any ideas on what may cause this error?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fsckit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is what the Web client shows for the new datastores:

vmware_datastore_inf.PNG

0 Kudos
fsckit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resolved! It turns out to have been a problem with the way I used the

0 Kudos
Pierre-Yves_Loc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have a very similar problem.

Two datastores in 5.54 and one in 5.58.

If I try to migrate a VM from one 5.54 to 5.58 -> no problem.

If I try to migrate this VM (60 GB) from one 5.54 to the other 5.54 -> error message (File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore).

Same parameters for the three datastores.

How did you manage to solve your issue? Your sentence has been cut before the end Smiley Sad

Thank you!

0 Kudos
fsckit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.  If I remember correctly, it turns out that I had formatted these disks incorrectly in partedUtil.  I discovered that the widely used formula for determining the end sector is incorrect: endSector = ( C * H * S - 1).  Do not use this. Instead, use 'partedUtil getUsableSectors'.  Once I started formating the disks with the correct end sector returned by that command, I no longer got that error.

0 Kudos