VMware Cloud Community
gregory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

File deleted on esxi system after reboot with last patch (256968)

Hello,

Since I've installed last patch on esxi (build 256968), each time I reboot esxi server, I lost files in /opt and the /.ssh folder.

Before this patch, files were still there upon reboot.

Have you an idea of what happening ? Is it a new limitation of free esxi ?

I'am using this file to backup VM with ghettovcb and all work very fine (until I reboot :smileysilly: )

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is expected with ESXi, there are fix set of files including any local VMFS volumes that are preserved upon reboot. There is an hourly cron job that runs to automatically backup important configuration files to a local bootbank which is then loaded upon the next reboot, any files created by the user and most likely utilizing the unsupported Busybox console will not survive a reboot by default.

If you're using the , recommendation would be to store the script and any relevant files on either the local VMFS volume or on shared storage (NFS,iSCSI/FC SAN) volume.

There is a script in "/sbin/auto-backup.sh" that you can actually execute to see what files are being backed up, you can easily modify that script to backup additional files which will ensure they're saved upon a reboot.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is expected with ESXi, there are fix set of files including any local VMFS volumes that are preserved upon reboot. There is an hourly cron job that runs to automatically backup important configuration files to a local bootbank which is then loaded upon the next reboot, any files created by the user and most likely utilizing the unsupported Busybox console will not survive a reboot by default.

If you're using the , recommendation would be to store the script and any relevant files on either the local VMFS volume or on shared storage (NFS,iSCSI/FC SAN) volume.

There is a script in "/sbin/auto-backup.sh" that you can actually execute to see what files are being backed up, you can easily modify that script to backup additional files which will ensure they're saved upon a reboot.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
gregory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank a lot for all these information.

I will check this asap.

Regards,

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you take a look at the documentation, there is a section that explains this for setting up cron jobs which requires you to edit /etc/rc.local and then manually backing it up using /sbin/auto-backup.sh which can be done the same for other changes/files you may need.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

gregory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've modified rc.local file to copy back /.ssh directory from local vmfs datastore.

So, all is running fine now, thank you a lot !

Regards,

0 Kudos