VMware Cloud Community
Aussupport
Contributor
Contributor

File Server Access Speed

HI All,

I have a File Server VM ( Windows 2008 R2, 1 VCPU, 4 GB RAM, 1 Nic ) This is connect to my iscsi NAS ( QNAP) with 800GB Disk. 

I got one Crop Share for all the Branch Office Users.

Branch office users are complaining about the write and read speed from this share.

So how do i troubleshoot this issue?

What tool i should run?

AS

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenLoveday
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

I would suggest you look at three areas.

First, make sure that your storage is configured properly. Being iSCSI, make sure that you have configured the QNAP (I'm guessing it supports MPIO over two or more adapters?) to support some form of load balancing or LACP. Also how is the RAID configured on the unit and what type of drives? If you had only a small number of SATA drives for example you would probably hit performance issues when multiple users were accessing the disk.

Secondly, check your network all the way from the NAS through to the vmkernel port configuration. There are plenty of good guides out there for configuring iSCSI in vSphere. Jumbo frames aren't critical and are a hot topic for debate particularly when using 1GbE networking. Flow control is certainly something that should be enabled if supported by the switches.

Lastly, have a look at the VM performance charts you could be suffering performance degradation if the server is struggling for CPU resource. How many users are accessing the server? What is the host configuration and how many other VM's are running on it? You might find that a single vCPU just isn't enough.

Make sure you become familiar with using ESXTOP from the cli, this is a great tool for looking for performance bottlenecks and there is plenty of doco available on using it.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ben Loveday

0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it's the branch users having issues, I'd evaluate your networking. Local users are just fine?

VCP5
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

If read/write speed is acceptable when the share is accessed locally, then it is likely that available WAN bandwidth will not support the read/write speeds that they seem to expect.

Are there other file shares these branch office users access that have better performance?   

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos