VMware Cloud Community
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Few VM's randomly fail with error: unable to initialize the virtual SVGA adapter

Hello All,

We have a few VM's that once and awhile randomly will fail and shut down.  The only error given is in virtual center which states: unable to initialize the virtual SVGA adapter.  The VM then shuts down and never comes back online until manually started.  I figure this has to do something with HA VM monitoring however I haven't been able to get to the bottem of it.

The VM has the latest VMware Tools installed and functionings fine 99% of the time except for these random failures.  Any idea's ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have enough memory on the hosts?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert

What OS version are your guests?

Have you tried using the standard VGA ?

Do you see antyhing on the vmware.log

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply

No the host cluster these VM's are in are only running at 25-30% and we have DRS set to the 2nd highest setting

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Checked the VMware log and it was empty.  No errors.  I can keep an eye on it however this error is very random and sometimes takes a long time before we see it again

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing I did change was the Display Adapter memory setting.  We do not have it set to Auto because we use SRM which doesn't allow it to be set to auto.  I doubled its memory and bumped it from 16MB to 32MB.  See if this changes anything

0 Kudos