VMware Cloud Community
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

Fault cause: vim.fault.InvalidState

Hi All,

I am testing VCSA65, and esxi65 installed on top of a guest machine(guest machine hosted in an ESXi5.5 server), the installation fails at 80 % with the following error.

- Fault cause: vim.fault.InvalidState

-Task failed on server: Module 'CPUID' power on failed.

I did check this KB  "https://techyguy.in/module-cpuid-power-on-failed/" and no luck

Can anyone help me with this, please?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Check this option: Enable CPU Perf. Counters.

maksym007_0-1669582527333.png

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

@maksym007 

I did enable that option but VM is not turning on.

I also verified ESX5.5 h/w for Hyper V and it is enabled in BIOS ( Dell PowerEdge T710)

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

So issue somewhere else

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

There would be this article titled that might explain what you are experiencing: "Support for running ESXi as a nested virtualization solution (2009916)", https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2009916.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

@Kinnison 

Thank you .

This  KB2009916 helps to figure out the error. [["VMware does not support ESXi as a guest operating system nested within a virtual machine in production environments"]]

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

And I need to figure out the other way to test VCSA.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

The relevant part of the article is where we find written:

Known working (however still unsupported) configurations for ESXi as a guest operating system nested in a virtual machine are the following:

ESXi 6.0: Requires ESXi 5.5 or later, Workstation 12.0 or later, Fusion 6.0 or later.
ESXi 6.5/6.7: Requires ESXi 6.0 or later, Workstation 14.0 or later, Fusion 10.0 or later.
ESXi 7.0: Requires ESXi 6.7 or later, Workstation 15.5 or later, Fusion 11.5 or later.
ESXi 8.0: Requires ESXi 7.0 or later, Workstation 16.0 or later, Fusion 12.0 or later.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I will keep this article for future too. Nice one

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

@Kinnison 

Thank you. I did read that point and need a separate license for ESXi for nested scenarios.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

@BaijuNSHFX, Hi,

I'm sorry but I did not understand what is the goal you would like to achieve.

The point of my speech is that to have the best chance of success in a "nested" type environment it would be better to follow the good advice contained in the article that I have indicated to you. Then, you're committing yourself to testing something that's no longer supported in an even older context that hasn't been supported for much longer.

Nothing more nothing less.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos