Jump to solution

Fault Tolerance not detecting datastores

Hi everyone,

Here is my Environment:

- vsphere 6.7U1

- 2 esxi hosts in a cluster

- each esxi host has 2x 10 gigabit Ethernet connections

- each esxi host has a 1tb local datastore

- each esxi host has 2 virtual switches (switch1 w/ 1x 10gbe physical adapter = management network & VM network ports ; switch2 w/ 1x 10gbe physical adapter = fault tolerance, iSCSI & vMotion VMkernel ports)

- Cluster has vSphere HA enabled (no other settings altered)

- virtual machine has fault tolerance option available with no error messages

Problem:

-When I right click the vm that I want to setup fault tolerance, no datastores are listed

- I am not sure what I need to do, to get the datastores of my esxi hosts to appear

- Do i need to migrate the VM's storage to a shared storage? (for the VM that I want to turn on fault tolerance). If so, how do I do this? I have also setup a 55GB iSCSI between esxi host 0 and my windows server 2019) but I'm unsure how to move the "VM files except the VMDK files" to the shared storage iSCSI i setup!

Thank you so much for any help! I've been stuck on this for quite some time. If you need any other info, please let me know! I feel like i'm on the very last step, but i've been stuck for over a week!

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

You require shared storage to proceed further. Listing below few FT articles for vSphere 6.7 for your reference. You can also check more FT documentation through links on same article pages.

Best Practices for Fault Tolerance

Virtual machine files (except for the VMDK files) must be stored on shared storage. Acceptable shared storage solutions include Fibre Channel, (hardware and software) iSCSI, vSAN, NFS, and NAS.

Fault Tolerance Checklist

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

You require shared storage to proceed further. Listing below few FT articles for vSphere 6.7 for your reference. You can also check more FT documentation through links on same article pages.

Best Practices for Fault Tolerance

Virtual machine files (except for the VMDK files) must be stored on shared storage. Acceptable shared storage solutions include Fibre Channel, (hardware and software) iSCSI, vSAN, NFS, and NAS.

Fault Tolerance Checklist

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For sure the VM needs to be on a Shared Storage which both Hosts must have access to. A Shared Storage is also the requirement for HA which is one requirement for FT.

When possible assign 2 shared Datastore because FT2.0 creates a copy of the complete VM (vmdks) and placing both in the same Datastore doesnt make so much sence.

Regards

Joerg

MuchB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the welcome! Smiley Happy

Good to know i'm on the right path. I'll take a look at those articles.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MuchB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for confirming and the recommendation! I'll give it another shot tonight/saturday and sunday!

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi MuchB

Can you share an update on your issue status ? Were you successful ?

MuchB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi pragg12,

I did set up fault tolerance and it's working beautifully after I setup the shared nfs storage.

when one host goes down, the vm runs with no downtime to the secondary esxi host. Turn off the secondary esxi host and the vm goes back to the primary esxi host.

Thank you all for your help.

If you have any tips for best practices for fault tolerance / shared storage setup / vm backup, please let me know!

0 Kudos