VMware Cloud Community
vpnprasad
Contributor
Contributor

Failing over VM from one EsxServer to another

Hi,

I am working on a solution to provide site failover of the virtual machines. I am facing some problems while powering on the VM after failover. Appreciate if some one can give me pointers to resolve this.

Problem in detail:

I have VMs on SAN LUN which is attached to Esx1 which is having mirror relation (replication) with another SAN LUN which is attached to Esx2. When users failover the VM from Esx1 to Esx2, I am shuttigng down the VMs, unregistering the VMs on Esx1. The actual storage failover is done where SAN LUN become R/W on Esx2. Now on Esx2, I am running RescanAllHba and discovering the datastores. As the data is replicated the same VMX paths will be there at Esx2 also. So I use the same vmx paths and vm names and call RegisterVM_Task() for registering the VMs. Now when I poweron VM, vcenter is showing a dialog asking whether this VM is moved or copied. Following is the exact msg:

"This virtual machine might have been moved or copied.
In order to configure certain management and networking features, VMware ESX needs to know if this virtual machine was moved or copied.
If you don't know, answer "I copied it".
  • Cancel
  • I moved it
  • I copied it

If we select moved or copied, poweron goes through fine. Now my question is how do I suppress this msg programmitically. I think I have to update the configuration before powering on the VMs. It will be great if somebody can let me know the details or point me to some blogs/documentation which can help me.

Thanks,

Prasad

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

instead of going through all this why dont you have esx2 and esx1 share the same san datastores?

is it a distnace issue or something else?

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
vpnprasad
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply...yes its in a different site which can be at geographically disperse location.

thanks,

Prasad

0 Kudos