VMware Cloud Community
xbradshr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed write command to write-quiesced partition

I am receiving the below error on multiple hosts. All hosts are in the same DRS/HA cluster, and are using the same LUN as a scratch partition. The error has been seen on multiple LUNS(some datastores, some scratch partitions.)

We are using FC SAN. The alarm appears to be somewhat random. One of my experianced VMware colleagues thinks this happens during busy periods on the SAN. I am not aware of the error causing any issues. Does anyone have any experience of this error?

Target: ESXHOST
Stateless event alarm

Alarm Definition:
([Event alarm expression: Host error] OR [Event alarm expression: Host warning])

Event details:
Issue detected on ESXHOST: ScsiDeviceIO: 2352: Failed write command to write-quiesced partition naa.6005076802820051c800000000000017:1
(6:22:46:17.920 cpu7:5632)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
truck0321
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen a similar problem with my setup.  I believe my problem is related to vmware data recovery.  If you are not running VDR try vmware kb article 2009482.

0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi xbradshr

Its very intersting.Seems unknown problem and rare discussion about this.  I belive its not able to write in vxd while trying to do same .  could you please check VXD condition and the space .  It would be greate if any additional information could provide to us .

"You are stronger than you think"
0 Kudos
thb_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi we have the same problem two days in a row on the same LUN on two hosts within a cluster.

But no idea yet.

0 Kudos
xbradshr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I personally think this problem was caused by incorrect removal of LUNs. I found that one of our teams was removing LUNs without following LUN masking procedures. Since these errors, the hosts have been restarted, and the correct LUN masking procedures followed over time. These errors are no longer seen.

0 Kudos
mosah01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are getting a similar alert.

Description [17/9/2014 9:48:6] [ vmware: alarm.HostErrorAlarm - Issue detected on xxx-xxx-xxxx in xxx-: ScsiDeviceIO: 3081: Failed write command to write-quiesced partition naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:1

I checked with the Health status of the ESX server and no issues reported.

Any help will be appricated.

Kr.

AM

0 Kudos