VMware Cloud Community
osido
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to power on virtual machine <vm name>. The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Power off)

Hi All,

we created Windows Server 2016 VM on ESXi 6.5 U1. We can power on the VM and operate it. But when we shutdown the VM. We cannot power on it anymore. The message is "Failed to power on virtual machine <VM name>. The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Power off)."

Do you have any idea?  I found there is no new log added into VM log (i.e. vmware.log) . Is there any log I can check? How can I do to troubleshooting the issue?

Regard,

Osito

9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Check the event log on the ESXi host. What does it say? What did you do to this VM between creation and when it would no longer power on?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach/post "vmware.log" from guest directory on host.

Not enough memory?

0 Kudos
jurgenvervoort
Contributor
Contributor

maybe a iso file you mounted? or a VGA passthrough?

0 Kudos
JorgenDue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I had the same problem this morning.

I think after deleting some cdrom iso images.

2 vm's powered off and unable to power on "in the current state"

could not change the cdrom settings or anything,  vmware also complaining about "the current state."

unregister the vm and register again and everything is working again.

it fixed both machines.

/jorgen

embj
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, unregistering and re-registering worked for me. This happened on one of my VMs after reconfiguring the vmks, port groups, and virtual switches on the ESX host in question.

0 Kudos
aadi369
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If these is happening with multiple VM's, then remove the host from cluster and add again, this will solve issue for all VM's residing on the host.

Doing re-registration for each VM will be a pain and eliminated by above solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If it is useful, plz mark answer as correct or helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------

DannyDanquah
Contributor
Contributor

I got this same error while deploying ovf template in ESXi. From the task pane, I noticed that the files had not been completely moved to the datastore. After the results showed "Completed successfully", I tried again and it powered on without problems. In short, you were trying to power on the machine while the ovf files were still being moved/copied.

SMcCandlish
Contributor
Contributor

This can happen after a catastrophic crash (e.g. loss of power to the host machine), and it seems to be corruption of the VM state files. I have not had much luck in selective deletion of those. What DOES work, and is surprisingly quick 'n' easy, is to create a new duplicate virtual machine (it's good to have notes or screenshots of all the settings), fire it up once, shut it down, then move the malfunctioning VM's virtual hard drive(s) into the new machine, and change its settings to use them (tell it to take over or at least share the drive with the original), and be sure to tell it to boot off the original's boot drive.  Actually move the drive files; don't try to call them in the new VM from their old-VM location.  On a Mac host machine, you will need to right-click or ctrl-click the old VM and do "Show package contents" and do the same on the new VM, then move the vmdk files from one to the other.  You remove the new VM's original, default drive, and add the old VM's drive at its new location.  After you boot up the replacement VM and ensure it works, remove the old one from VMWare Fusion (or VMWare Workstation, whatever) and throw out the broken VM's left over files in Finder (mac) or Explorer (Windows).  I would then re-run the VMWare Tools installer on the new VM, and also ensure that it has properly operating host–guest file share stuff that you want.

This whole process took under 5 minutes the last time this happened to me.

0 Kudos
AnasWakif
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem and I just solved it very easily, here is a little guide that could be useful to you:
-Go to : add or remove a program
-Search VmWare
-Click on edit
-Click on fix
-Restart your system
-Start your machine
0 Kudos