VMware Cloud Community
glousteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to power on virtual machine Win10_Utility_7-2-18_OLD. File system specific implementation of LookupAndOpen[file] failed Click here for more details.

Any ideas what this error is?  I recently moved this VM from one ESXi server to another using the vCenter Converter Standalone (as I've done for several other VMs-succesfully).  I get this popup when I try to power on the VM

thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Are you using ESXi 6.5 ?

Check vm's vmware.log and /var/run/log/vmkernel.log files.

Check if ATS heartbeat is enabled on ESXi hosts and disable same. Refer VM KB: File system specific implementation of LookupAndOpen[file] failed: VDI machine (2149438)

Also, check this 3rd party blog: Cannot start Virtual Machine on ESXi 6.5

If the above doesn't work, refer to this VM KB: Race condition on ESXi 6.5 causing disruption to VMs or hostd management service (50372)

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
glousteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, ESXi 6.5

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide a complete list of files in the VM's folder.

In order to see all files (including hidden ones) connect to the host using WinSCP (you'll need to enable the SSH service on the host).

In addition to the file list, attach all .vmdk descriptor files (the small ones without flat/delta/sesparse in their names) to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos