VMware Cloud Community
sajuptpm
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 22. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

Hi,

I manually copied a vmdk file from local system to datastore, then edited *.vmx file of existing VM and changed name vmdk file to my coped file.

But, after that I could not start the VM and getting following errors

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/501d2d81-855b9cce-e103-00177c108b21/testdsk/vcentermain.vmdk'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 22.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

Screenshot attached

Thanks,

7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual disks are not comparible between ESXi and hosted products like VMware Workstation, Player or Fusion that is why you will need to either export the VM as an OVF/OVA or use converter to bring it across -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Weinstien that's not entirely correct we were able to import a VMware Fusion VM into our production ESXi 5.1 environment. We had to thick provision the VMDK via the command line after we can copied it from Fusion to ESXi 5.1.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case someone is interested, there's an interesting blog post about this at virtuallyGhetto: 2gbsparse Disk Format No Longer Working On ESXi 5.1

André

0 Kudos
craw4d
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue and fixed it this way:

1. Run VMWare vCenter Converter and convert the powered down (obviously bc it won't boot) to VMWare Workstation 8.  I did this on my vCenter machine to speed things up.  It writes the workstation files locally.

2. Once the conversion completes, run vCenter Converter again.

3. Convert the Workstation 8 machine you just created to a Virtual Infrastructure Machine (VIM) pushing it BACK to ESX.

4. Once this is complete, edit the machine and fix any NIC changes (it lost which network to use for me).

5. Power on the machine.  Voila!

0 Kudos
Derek3131
Contributor
Contributor

I actually had this same error after I imported a VMDK and a VMX file into the datastore. I added the VMX to the inventory and tried to power it on and received the error above "scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 22". I reviewed the edit settings and noticed that the disk had 0mb provisioned space. So I migrated it to another datastore and it provisioned the 60gb space and I was able to boot up the VM normally.

This was in a vSphere 5.5 environment.

m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Very good!

It solved a bis issue for me too.

Thanks

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
macanannymac
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, extracted OVA to break upload up, slow connection.

All VMDKS reported same error when i tried to make them boot devices, came accross this post and I copied the VMDKs I imported (which didn't register properly, icon was missing) to a new folder on the same datastore on the host, and ESXi inflated them.  Proper size was reflected afterwards.  

Worked like a charm.  This was on ESXi 7.0.2 standalone host.

0 Kudos