VMware Cloud Community
RemkoDeKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to log into NFC Server

Hi guys,

New here, so first of all my apologies if my question has allready been answered. I have been looking for answers in various posts but have not been able to come up with a solution so far.

Yesterday I upgrade my free version (licensed) ESXI host 4.0 to version licensed version of ESXI 5.1.

We bought licenses in order to use the storage API's to backup our ESXI host with Symantec Backup.

The upgrade itself wasn't to complicated. The upgrade process worked as expected (watched various examples on youtube) and my ESXI host is no running on version 5.1

My virtual machines are running and so far so good.

When I wanted to copy something today from the datastore via vSphere I was prompted with the following error

"Failed too log into NFC server"

Can somebody help me to understand what a NFC server is and perhaps give a few tips what can be done to solve this problem.

I can confirm that this problem did not exist in version 4.0

I also found some remarks about DNS. As far as I can tell my DNS works as it should. The ESXI server is entered in DNS. Not sure what else can be done here.

The datastores are logical disks in the same server. I can browse them without a problem. Just moving files around throws in this error.

Any advice is greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,

Remko de Koning

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

NFC is network file copy.

What OS are you running the vSphere Client from?

Have you tried another system and get the same error?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
RemkoDeKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Hi "vmroyale",

Thanks for the welcome.

I have tried this from both a Windows 7 and Windows 8 client

Both same problem. I also noticed, after playing with vSphere further, that several more things stopped working.

As said, we have licensed our copy of ESXI in order to be able to install a Backup Exec agent on the ESXi box.

For this I need commandline access. To get there I wanted to use SSH to install the agent.

This failed as the "service" SSH was stopped. When trying to start the service from within vSphere I get the following error

Call 'HostServiceSystem.Start' for object 'serviceSystem-9' on vCenter Server 'servername' failed

Same with some other services I wanted to start like the time service (NTP)

Perhaps this is all related. Not sure. I am running the ESXi on a PowerEdge 2950.

According to VMWare fully supported.

It looks like some things broke during the upgrade but am unsure what and why.

Luckily my virtual machines do run.

Anyway, if any thoughts come to mind, please let me know.

Remko

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Ensure all network configuration requirements are met.
Ensure all required ports are open.
For NFC, the critical port is 443.
Ensure the VirtualCenter server has port 443 open.
Ensure the ESX host is correctly configured in the DNS server

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

It might be worth restarting the management agents on the ESXi host at this point to see if that helps.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
RemkoDeKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all, looks like I am loosing more functionality over time. 10 min ago I was not even able to reach the services screen anymore and now I got totally disconnected with the vSphere software from the ESXi host.

Time for a visit to the server room.

Will keep you informed.

Remko

0 Kudos
RemkoDeKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like problem solved. I just rebooted the whole machine nd everything started working again. A bit puzzled though but so far case closed.

Thanks all for your input

Remko

0 Kudos
yasirabbas2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

facing this same problem when trying to upload any file on ESXi 5.0 host.i'm running vSphere 5.0 on Windows 7.added ports 443 both for tcp & udp in services file.added hostname and ip address in hosts file.checked if there was carriage return issue in /config file and found ok.restarted management agents.put host in maintenance mode and rebooted remotely to no avail.can someone help as i've had server setup a month ago from OVH but yet not able to create and run a single VM

0 Kudos
yasirabbas2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi memaad,

facing this same problem when trying to upload any file on ESXi 5.0 host.i'm running vSphere 5.0 on Windows 7.added ports 443 both for tcp & udp in services file.added hostname and ip address in hosts file.checked if there was carriage return issue in /config file and found ok.restarted management agents.put host in maintenance mode and rebooted remotely to no avail.can someone help as i've had server setup a month ago from OVH but yet not able to create and run a single VM

0 Kudos
yasirabbas2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vmroyale,

facing this same problem when trying to upload any file on ESXi 5.0 host.i'm running vSphere 5.0 on Windows 7.added ports 443 both for tcp & udp in services file.added hostname and ip address in hosts file.checked if there was carriage return issue in /config file and found ok.restarted management agents.put host in maintenance mode and rebooted remotely to no avail.can you help as i've had server setup a month ago from OVH but yet not able to create and run a single VM

0 Kudos