VMware Cloud Community
trieu-huynh2022
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to create disk. One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

When I move (or copy) a VM from ESXi host to a location on my local PC, I kept getting this error:
"Failed to create disk: E:\Server7\Server7_BU-disk3.vmdk. Reason: One of the parameters supplied is invalid"

I tried to shrink down Server7 so the back up VM will be lower than 2TB but I still get this error.

Server7 has 3 hard disk:
. Hard disk 1: 60GB (thin provision)
. Hard disk 2: 250 GB (thin provision)
. Hard disk 3: 3TB (thin provision)

4 Replies
phoenicyan
Contributor
Contributor

started having the same issue with esxi7u3 😞

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Has this got anything to do with vSphere Replication, or did you just post in the wrong area of the Communities?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm that you have 3 TB free disk space available on your PC?
Remember that Thin Provisioning is a VMFS file system feature. and copying thin provisioned files may inflate them to their provisioned size on the target.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Before you start the copy operation you better convert the vmdks to a less space-eating format.
vmkfstools -i 3tb.vmdk ws-compatible-split-sparse.vmdk -d 2gbsparse
When done download ws-compatible-split-sparse.vmdk to your Windows host.

0 Kudos