VMware Cloud Community
mohamedshebl
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to Deploy vCenter

Hi All,

I have deployed the VMWare ESXi 5.1 evolution version on my server. I am successfully managing through VMClient and created a Virtual machine.

I have problem to deploy the vCenter, I have downloaded as OVF for Enterprise and deploying through "Deploy OVF Template"

I got the following message:

This OVF package use features that are not supported when deploying directly to an ESX host

The OVF Package require supports for vApps with multiple VMs.

I tried to enable vAPP but I found that I must have a cluster which contain many server that ESXi 5.1 is installed on it.

Is that true? If not, please, give me the steps to install it.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi, welcome to the communities,

Did you by chance enter any license keys to your ESXi 5.1 host? (you say it's running in evaluation mode, so normally you should not have entered a key).

0 Kudos
mohamedshebl
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't enter any key and attached here an image that represets the license status

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

As far as I know, vApp is a feature of vCenter and that's why you are not able to deploy a vApp directly to an ESXi host. The only way you can deploy a vApp is to deploy it using vCenter (which will be kind of hard since this is what you are trying to deploy Smiley Happy)

I recently played around with vCenter appliance (by the way spravtek helped me back then with a couple of issues) and I had no need to use a vApp. I only downloaded the .ova and then "opened it". It's only one VM so no need for a vApp. Maybe, you download some package with more VMs (thus your vApp) like DataProtector, etc. I don't even know if that package exists but as I already mentioned, I downloaded the ova and deployed it on one of my ESXi hosts without that problem.

Maybe, trying to download "VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.1.0.5200-880472_OVF10.ova" and deploy it is the answer? This is the file I used and worked perfectly.

Best regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Ohh. And if you are running in "Eval mode" you will have Enterprise+ features licensed for the 60 days eval period.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos