VMware Cloud Community
maccarone
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to Deploy OVF Package. The task was canceled by a user

I'm trying to import a virtual machine into vmware ESXi5 using vSphere. TO do this I'm using "Deploy OVF template".

I've loaded into datastore all needed files:

/vmfs/volumes/50ed9690-d64f6aba-e535-ac162d6f711c/Iso repository/OSP_Image # ls -ltr

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           145 Apr 18 10:32 VMOSP21(OSP5.0).mf

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          8536 Apr 18 10:32 VMOSP21(OSP5.0).ovf

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     42738258944 May  7 09:47 VMOSP21(OSP5.0)-disk1.vmdk

/vmfs/volumes/50ed9690-d64f6aba-e535-ac162d6f711c/Iso repository/OSP_Image #

I've set the correct path into "Deploy from e file or URL" and after clicking on next button, and waited for various minutes (I think due to a big size of the ovf package) I got the following screen:

Deploy OVF template - second step.jpg

Then I clicked Next and leave all the option as is:

Deploy OVF template - third step.jpg

Network left as default values and at the end I got the following summarizing screen:

Deploy OVF template - fourth step.jpg

Clicking on finish I got the following error after 3-4 seconds:

errore deploy ovf.jpg

Maybe it is sue to a big vmdk file?  Is there any timeout to be set into vsphere?

Thanks

Massimo

8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Would you be able to copy the ovf file to the local machine and then try deploying the ovf template?

0 Kudos
maccarone
Contributor
Contributor

I could try but since the size is about 48Gb I think it will take a lot of time....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like when it try to access via netwrok its failing to connect to the image

0 Kudos
maccarone
Contributor
Contributor

As first step you have to choose the URL where the ovf package is stored, and if you insert a wrong URL or an unreachable URL you are not able to go ahead with the procedure. So if you are able to reach the end of procedure it means that ovf deploy tool is able to reach the. In this specific case the  package is stored locally into ESXi datastore.

0 Kudos
CertMonkey
Contributor
Contributor

I know you said it was a very large off file but try to start copying the file locally. If it starts to copy just cancel it. This will prove the file is accessible.

0 Kudos
osbornchan
Contributor
Contributor

Found this question still not answered, I checked your ovf file and here I attach another link below:

OVF deplyment - cancled by user

In the reply from Eravn there is a fix:

1. discard the .mf

2. open the .ovf file and change <rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.cdrom.iso</rasd:ResourceSubType> to <rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.cdrom.atapi</rasd:ResourceSubType>

3. retry the deploy

BenimusIQ
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue, and what osbornchan mentioned fixed it for me. I had to unpack the OVA, discard the .mf file, and change iso to atapi and then it worked

HMIBarryLSalter
Contributor
Contributor

This thread is over a year old...  From it, I found clues and came up with my own solution that worked flawlessly for me..

Instead of trying to fix the exported template, I went back to the server I was exporting and took a few simple extra steps:

1) Although unnecessary, I removed all snapshots and booted up the VM to make sure it's still working after compacting the snapshot space..  This makes the template smaller and less issues with trying to go back to snap shots that may or may not work, I really didn't know but it for sure saves space in moving.

2) This is the crucial step..  With the VM turned off, I edited the settings AND REMOVED the CD rom device from the VM machine.  Once the VM is built, you almost never go back and use the CD physical or ISO.  If you do need the CD, after it's moved, you can edit again and add the CD device back in.  But it's the CD physical or ISO reference that causes this issue, by removing it, the issue is removed and you don't have to edit an exported template.

3) Unrelated to the problem but a helpful step:  I have 2x Ver 6.0 VMware ESXi machines on the same network.  I've discovered that

a) You can talk to the management from a VM "inside" the management machine but not another management machine "outside" of the management machine of that VM

b) Talking to BOTH management machines from a physical machine out side of both, I could talk to both but neither keep a reliable connection to either machine NOR get an error free export or import of a template.

c) I ended up turning off the new ESXi machine while exporting templates from the old ESXi machine.. Once templates had been exported, turning off the old machine and on the new and importing to the new machine.

Like I said, I know this is an old thread but I had not found my answer anywhere but did find the clues, and hope this list helps someone that falls into my same problem..

Barry,

https://www.MyPhxSEO.com

0 Kudos