VMware Cloud Community
Stcragg
Contributor
Contributor

FATAL oom out of memory (at xmalloc:91)

Hi all,

Not entirely sure where to post this, so i'm hoping i got the right forum here. Also not entirely sure if this is a ESX issue or a vRanger issue - i have posted on the vRanger support forums, but so far i've had no response.

Basically, we are running 2 ESX4 hosts, they are not using shared storage (for the moment), so only have local VMFS volumes. A few weeks ago we suffered a number of power cuts (and yes, we had no UPS at the time) in a short timescale. After we managed to get everything back up and running again, we noticed that out of our 7 VM's only 3 were backing up via vRanger, whilst the other 4 were giving the below error message;

An internal error occurred during execution, please contact Vizioncore

support if the error persists. Error Message: Backup:

'phys:/vmfs/volumes/4ad97ceb-1c29a3ee-1a53-00237dd95d1e/ServerName/ServerName-flat.vmdk'

failed, Reason: FATAL oom out of memory (at xmalloc:91)

The VM's which give this message when vRanger attempts to backup these VM's are located on both ESX hosts (so the error isn't confined to just one of the hosts). And obviously, the VM's are located on different VMFS volumes (and there is plenty of spare space on all volumes).

I've checked the vmware.log file for the erroring VM's and all the logs reports is that the snapshot is successfully created, and then nothing for a couple of minutes, before reporting that the snapshot was successfully deleted.

I'm scratching my head on this, as i really don't know where to look to even begin to resolve the issue.

Any input anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

St

0 Kudos
0 Replies