VMware Cloud Community
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

F2 Key - No Response

I am trying to run ESXi U1 on a USB key. When it boots up to the screen where i have to hit F2 to Customize or F12 to Restart\Shutdown, I hit the F2 key and there is no response. Even when I hit F12, there is no response. I don't believe it's the keyboard, as I am able to use it to get into the BIOS and check start-up options whenever I reboot the machine. Did I miss something in configuring the USB drives with the ESXi OS or has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thank you in advance for your response.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What connection type is the keyboard? If it's USB as well, and you have a PS/2 connection, try using a PS/2 keyboard on that host. Does the host bios have any USB Legacy settings in it? What are the USB settings in bios?

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What connection type is the keyboard? If it's USB as well, and you have a PS/2 connection, try using a PS/2 keyboard on that host. Does the host bios have any USB Legacy settings in it? What are the USB settings in bios?

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The keyboard is PS/2. The only setting that I see in the host BIOS is USB device enabled\disable, and I have enabled it. it's just odd that I am having trouble with a PS/2 keyboard...but I will go and buy a usb keyboard and try it. I will let you know later-on if it works.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How did you create the USB boot device?

Did you install it using the ESXi setup or did you create it using one of the various descriptions on the internet?

André

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Does the screen look a little dark? If so try hitting the spacebar first and if it brightens up then hit the F2 key. Sounds strange but it happens to me if the screen has been sitting for a while.

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When it first come up, the screen is active. after waiting for a while, it goes dark, and hitting the space bar will not lighten the screen.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm actually thinking about doing this for another system I have. I don't want to destroy what's on the internal drives, so I thought using the install to USB option would be worth a shot. It should also let me know if it's possible to install it directly onto the hardware (for a later point in time)...

The directions I've found were here: *Install ESXi to a USB device direct from the install CD*.

Or method #3 from the site you linked...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you already have VM's on this host?

If not there's no risk to boot from the ESXi installation CD-ROM. When it asks where to install the hypervisor, select the USB device.

André

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry that It took me so long to respond. I did purchase a usb mouse and keyboard and attach them directly into the hosts, and that worked. from here on, I can manage my hosts from the VIC or Putty. Thank you all for your responses on this.

0 Kudos