VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Extra vm files - safe to delete?

Recently, my datastore (single SSD drive) was randomly disconnecting from my host. I believe this disconnect (and subsequent hard reboot of the host) caused a few extra files to be created for each of the running VM's (please see attached).

vmfiles.jpg

My VM's are not part of any 'team', just a single ESXi 5.1 host (free EXi) with 5 running VM's and I do not currently have any snapshots for any of my VM's.

Can I delete any of these files?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yankora
Contributor
Contributor

Do you still have a virtual machine named DEV2 in your inventory?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless the VM is powered on or paused/suspended you can safely delete the .vswp as well as the .lck files. However, they will be recreated once you power on the VM. Btw. I doubt that the disconnect occurred due to the files being created. You may rather want to check the log files for errors.

André

Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx André.

My VM's have never been part of a 'team'. Any idea where the vmxf files came from? Could they have been created when I installed the latest 5.1 update? Although, I did this several months ago and didn't notice these files until now.

I'm also concerned about the overall health of my ESX host (my drive has probably disconnected a dozen times over the past two months). I know ESX is pretty resilient and I'm not currently seeing anything in the events that would point to a problem but I'm wondering if there's any easy diags I can run to check for corruption. Yesterday I updated the SSD with the latest firmware so, hopefully, the disconnects are over.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately I can't tell you why the SSD disconnects. Maybe an issue with the disk controller, i.e. the driver!?

The .vmxf contains some metadata for the VM, it's not the same as for teams in prior Workstation versions.

André

0 Kudos