VMware Cloud Community
rogernome
Contributor
Contributor

External USB Hard Drive, fails to be seen

Hi all,

Running ESXI 4.0 U1. I plug in an external HDD and I'm trying to attach it to a vm, doesn't seem to want to go. Any idea? It's just not being detected.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Braumin
Contributor
Contributor

ESX and ESXi do not support locally attached USB devices. If you want to use it as a datastore you are out of luck, and if you want to attach it to a virtual machine you can purchase a USB to Network device like the one from Digikey.

0 Kudos
rogernome
Contributor
Contributor

What could you recommend to do backups? I don't mind spending around $1k-1.5k. I was thinking of building another server (crap box) to use symantecs continuous backup server for the vms...

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

if you want to backup the vm's from a esxi host maybe the best free way is using the ghettoVCB script and configure a cheap nfs/iscsi server (you can for example use openfiler) to place the vm's backups.

You should configure on the esxi host the nfs/iscsi disk space exported from the openfiler host as a new datastore and configure the ghettoVCB script to put the backups on this remote datastore.

In this discussion you can learn some basic information to configure the nfs/iscsi server. It isn't specifically related to configure openfiler, but this information will help you to get the idea.

You should be able to find how to configure openfiler searching the net.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos