VMware Cloud Community
ventureChris
Contributor
Contributor

External Sata (e-Sata) HDD Question

Hey Everyone,

We have a customer who has a couple of external e-Sata drives that they use to backup data from their VM servers. My question is - is there a way to 'hot add' a basic e-sata disk, and have the ESXi host (5.0 in this instance) scan for the device without having to reboot the host? The behavior I see is that the drive is not seen when initially plugged in, but after a reboot, the host recognizes the drive. Is that normal behavior?

This customer only has a single esxi host, and if this is possible to hot-add an e-sata drive (even via esxi cmdline), it would be benefitial to them.

The drives get passed directly to the onboard SATA controller on the MOBO. Server is HP DL360 Gen8  - I'm going to research and make sure I don't have to make any special configurations to make the Sata controller support hot swap.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sflanders
Commander
Commander

I might be mistaken, but I do not believe this is possible. I know there is not VMware CLI way (e.g. esxcli). ESXi is busybox based and supports VIBs so I am sure it is possible, but the stock installation does not allow this.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos