VMware Cloud Community
Robin4880
Contributor
Contributor

Extending my VMDK store in VSphere

Hi all

I am having troubles extending my VMDK store.

I have managed to extend the LUN by 200GB's but when I goto increase the store within the gui I have no selectable options.

I have attached a screen grab to show that the lun has 700GB availiabe but the capacity is only 480gb. When I click Increase it gives me no availiable options to select.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks all in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - How large do you want to make the VMDK? if it is greater than 256 GB and the VMFS datastore block size is set to the default of 1 MB thanthe maximum VMDK size is 256 GB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Robin4880
Contributor
Contributor

We have about 10 Virtual Machines in this store atm and we are having difficulties becuase it is reaching maximum load.

I would just assume that you could add an extend to the datastore if you assigned more disk space to the LUN?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you are running into contention for disk access - I would recommend adding a new datastore and move some of the VMs to the new datastore rather than extending thiss datastorre or expanding it -

Robin4880
Contributor
Contributor

Is this an unofficial recommendation? Or could it still be done without any risk to our data?

It's just that we dont want to many datastores to manage we already have 4

Cheers

0 Kudos