VMware Cloud Community
DaveCCL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extended wrong Virtual Disk but not Guest OS - Shrink?

Not quite another generic 'shrink VMDK' question...

I accidentally extended the wrong virtual disk in vCenter from 725GB to 1TB. Fortunately I realised this before I extended the partition to use the new space in Windows. Is there a way to get this space back? In the VM settings I have the arrow options to 'shrink' the size back down, but I'm unsure on the impact to the guest of doing this. Surely if the guest hasn't been extended to consume this space then it should be reclaimable?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

as you are referring: the arrow option in VM Settings

This will not let you reduce (Shrink) the size of virtual disk which has already been increased. This option is useful in the case when let's say you went in VM Settings, increased disk size from 10 to 20 GB but not yet committed that change and you want to put it back to 15 then you could use that arrow to do so.

Please refer following KB, answer to your question is, use VMware converter.

VMware KB: Growing, thinning and shrinking virtual disks for VMware ESX and ESXi

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

as you are referring: the arrow option in VM Settings

This will not let you reduce (Shrink) the size of virtual disk which has already been increased. This option is useful in the case when let's say you went in VM Settings, increased disk size from 10 to 20 GB but not yet committed that change and you want to put it back to 15 then you could use that arrow to do so.

Please refer following KB, answer to your question is, use VMware converter.

VMware KB: Growing, thinning and shrinking virtual disks for VMware ESX and ESXi

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos