VMware Cloud Community
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Extend C: partition space on ESXi VM

Hi all,

I think disk expansion is easy in a windows vm hosted on an esxi, but about expanding the space 
of a c: partition (system) in a disk with 2 or 3 others partitions may seem difficult! (may be) I have an esxi which hosts vms, I want to increase the space of the c: (system) partition knowing that a
d: (data) partition is just after. I would like to have the prerequisites for this operation and a step by step if possible.
i am beginner in vmware vsphere, thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
It is always recommended to get a full backup of the VM before doing any work on it.
maybe the following link will help you.

link: https://www.nakivo.com/blog/increasing-the-size-of-a-disk-partition/

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,e_espinal

Thank you for your answer

I have already seen it, it talk about:

"Note: There must be free space right after the partition that you want to extend.
If you have two partitions on a disk (C: and D:), and you want to extend the first partition (C:),
your unallocated disk space should be between the first and the second partition (after C: and before D:)."

so i should use any third party to move the unallocated disk space?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's actually not the same for physical, and virtual systems. If there's no adjacent free disk space to the partition that needs to be extended, you either need to use guest OS tools (if available), or 3rd party tool like the gParted Live CD.

What I recommend for virtual environments is to have a single partition per virtual disk, which allows online expansion for each partition if the guest OS supports it.

André

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Thinks André
I think you recommandation is very good
signle partition per virtual disk, so if you need to create 2 or 3 partitons, do it with 2 or 3 vDisks, then it's very easy to increase partition(disk) space.
My current case is on the picture, what is the steps to increase (c:) partition ?
Only (F) is extended partition on vDisk0

disks & partitions.png

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Create new vDisks
  2. Move Data onto the new disks
  3. Remove old partitions
  4. change drive letters to match the old ones

At the end you need one partition per drive and than its a 60sec job to increase a disk/partition during runtime.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it's as easy as that !

VM is domain controller and E, F contains DC folder like Sysvol

So Move this folder may cause damage

0 Kudos