VMware Cloud Community
oxygenITsa
Contributor
Contributor

Exsi 6 U1 & Dlink DGE-560T driver.

Hi All,

I'm trying to install a 2nd NIC so I can setup a PFSense Guest with 2 physical NIC's. VERY new to all of this so excuse me if I'v skipped some basics...

Following VMware KB: Network cards not detected on an ESXi/ESX host I get to step 4 but don't see the NIC listed. Apparently it worked in Esxi 5.5. There are FreeBSD & Linux drivers for this NIC from DLink, not sure if that can be baked in to Esxi / edited to work.

See my output in bold.

1. To determine if the ESXi/ESX host is seeing the new NIC devices, run the command:

lspci -v | grep -A1 -i ethernet

0000:00:19.0 Ethernet controller Network controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gi                        gabit Network Connection [vmnic0]

Class 0200: 8086:1503

--

0000:01:00.0 Ethernet controller Network controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-560T                        PCI Express (x1) Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Class 0200: 1186:4300

2)Search the output for the network card that has been added to the system. Note the PCI slot and bus number (xx:xx) returned.

3) To obtain the Vendor ID (VID) and the Device ID (DID) of the new NIC, run the command:

lspci -n |grep xx:xx

0000:01:00.0 Class 0200: 1186:4300

This returns the VID and DID of the card in the format: nnnn:nnnn. The first set of numbers is the VID; the second set is the DID.

4) To determine if the card is supported for the version of ESX/ESXi you are running.

1. Go to the VMware Compatibility Guide.
  2. Select IO Devices from the dropdown.
  3. Select the VID and DID values from the dropdowns, and click Update and View Results.
  4. Under I/O Device and Model Information, click the model name. A list of available drivers displays.
  5. Take note of the device driver name, the firmware version, and the type of driver (inbox or async).

Note: Inbox drivers are included with ESXi/ESX when you perform the initial installation. Async drivers are drivers that have to be installed after installation or must be incorporated into the installation image. In ESXi 5.x, this can be done using Image Builder. For more information, see Installing async drivers on ESXi 5.x (2005205).

Note: If you do not see your version of ESXi/ESX listed, the card has not been certified. Your vendor may provide a driver that you can use until they are able to complete the certification process.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I can't seem to find a VIB driver from Dlink. The chipset seems to be a broadcom, but I haven't dumped the NIC into a Win PC to do a decent check.

Other output as per http://www.techezone.com/question/esxi-5-5-installer-does-not-detect-network-adaptor/

lspci | grep nic

0000:00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation P8 series motherboard

0000:00:19.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection [vmnic0]

lspci | grep Net

0000:00:19.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection [vmnic0]

0000:01:00.0 Network controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-560T PCI Express (x1) Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

uname -ar

VMkernel {fake_name} 6.0.0 #1 SMP Release build-3620759 Mar  3 2016 18:41:52 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 ESXi

---------------------------------------------------------

If there is no driver / driver I can edit / other model driver I can apply IE RTL1869 or 8111 , how can I make use of the 1 physical NIC to get PFSense up & running ? I have a VLAN capable mikrotik available.

Thanx in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies