VMware Cloud Community
ttyser
Contributor
Contributor

Exporting VM with nvram checked stucked on 50%

Hello, I am newbie to esxi. I am using version 6.7.0 and I did some exports of VMs to .ovf without the nvram option checked. It did take around 20 minutes and all was fine. Now I need export VM which will be deployed on esxi 7.0.3 but during the deployment it is asking me for nvram file. From this reason I am trying to export from esxi 6.7.0 VM with nvram option checked, but it hangs up on 50% for 2.5 hour. Tried to cancel it and export again, but ends up with the same problem. Is there some trick when exporting with nvram other then check the nvram box?

Also, I did download the nvram file directly from the datastore and then used vmware workstation player to deploy it. When done without the nvram file, I did get the same message as on 7.0.3(missing nvram file) esxi, when done with the nvram from datastore, the VM was deployed and it is working. Does it means the nvram from datastore from VM directory is the same nvram file I would get when doing the export with nvram option checked? I suppose yes, just want to be sure.

The deployment on workstation player was done because I don't have the access to that esxi 7.0.3 and I wanted to test it on something else then the esxi 6.7.0 I wanted to be sure its deployed on different environment which is not connected in any way to esxi 6.7.0 where it was originaly created. 

Thank you for any reply

Regards

TT

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ttyser
Contributor
Contributor

Just some update from my own investigation:

Today I tried to export the VM with .vmdk option unchecked and nvram option checked on our ESXi 6.7.0. I did get all the files immediately, nvram included. I did MD5 checksum of the nvram file I have from export and nvram file I downloaded from datastore and it is exact match.

So the nvram file which is on datastore directly in VM directory is the same one as the one you get from export of VM with the nvram option checked. Also I did sent the datastore one to admin of ESXi 7.0.3 and he was able to deploy the VM successfully. 

solixx
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, and I will uncheck the nvram, thank you.

0 Kudos