VMware Cloud Community
taylordude4493
Contributor
Contributor

Exporting VM with free ESXI Version 7.0

I have a Free Version of ESXI 7.0, I use it for one small server 2016 which host an IIS app this company uses for reconciliations. 

Because I cannot use API with the free version my backup plan is to export the VM every Friday to get the most current version possible and then would just restore database with a daily sql backup. 

Unfortunately the export just sticks on 50% complete even though it appears to be complete. The browser download says completed but ESXI task manager says 50% and never changes so I am forced to hit the cancel button which results in the task manager listing it as failed. I have waited as long as 24 hours and still says 50%. 

I have not attempted to restore the export yet, I figured it probably would not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a guess. Please verify whether the VM has the virtual CD-ROM either connected, or pointing to an ISO image. If so, make sure "Connect", and "Connect at Power on" are disabled, and set it to Host Device.

André

0 Kudos
taylordude4493
Contributor
Contributor

I does have a CD Rom but nothing is selected. (neither host nor ISO).

0 Kudos
taylordude4493
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying again with Firefox, so far looks promising. 

0 Kudos
taylordude4493
Contributor
Contributor

Worked with Firefox. Chrome apparently has some pop up add on that can cause issues exporting.. Seems it was unable to initiate the last phase of export because chrome was blocking it as a pop up.. Arg.. Thanks for the reply