VMware Cloud Community
ESXIdto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Expand datastore on diffrent raid configuration

Hello Community,

We are trying to expand a VMFS datastore on an ESXI 6. the configuration is the following:

1st Datastore : 6 Disk of 2TB with Raid 5 configuration

Just Added 2 Disk of 2TB with raid 0/raid 1

My question to the community is the following:

If I expand the 1st datastore to use  the availiable disk space while the raid configuration is diffrent. Would this make a performance/consistancy issue ?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with golddiggie​, expand the existing RAID set/logical volume if possible, rather than adding an extend with a different RAID level.

Although such a configuration will likely work, it may cause performance issues, similar to mixing LUNs with different tiers.

From https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2000643

Mixing LUNs with different speeds can affect the performance of your extended VMFS. Therefore, it is better to have all extents presented from the same storage array.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've always extended the LUNs to increase the datastore capacity. It would have been easier, IF your SAN could get the additional drives added to the RAID 5 volume, then expand the RAID and related LUN setup. Then you could simply do a scan of the datasore/HBA and then expand the datastore to use more of what's presented.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with golddiggie​, expand the existing RAID set/logical volume if possible, rather than adding an extend with a different RAID level.

Although such a configuration will likely work, it may cause performance issues, similar to mixing LUNs with different tiers.

From https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2000643

Mixing LUNs with different speeds can affect the performance of your extended VMFS. Therefore, it is better to have all extents presented from the same storage array.

André