VMware Cloud Community
Eric3939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Expand Clustered VMDK

I have 6.5 vcenter with 6.5 ESXi hosts. I have two windows 2012 SQL cluster . The VMs each have a SCSI controller set in "virtual" I am not using an RDM, I'm using a VMDK file with a shared disk. I am using EagerZeroed vmdks on ms cluster. I want to extend the disk to 250 GB. which command should I use. I've seen too many different commands on the internet

vmkfstools -X 250g  /vmfs/volumes/cs-ee-symmlun-001A/cormac.vmdk  or vmkfstools -X 250G -d eagerzeroedthick  /vmfs/volumes/cs-ee-symmlun-001A/cormac.vmdk               

which one should i use? I need to install any tool for vmkfstools ?                

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A few things:

• Resizing a virtual disk must be done only once, i.e. not from both ESXi hosts, since it's the same virtual disk file.
  • The command you ran on ESX02 is incorrect anyway. It's missing "/volume/" in the path.
  • In order for the new sizes to show up in the GUI, the modified .vmdk files need to be re-read. It should be sufficient to open the VM's settings, and click the Save button.

Regarding the error message when you start the VM. What's the output of:

vmkfstools -t0 /vmfs/volumes/Admin-vPlex-Production01_DS/MsSQLClusterDB3/MsSQLClusterDB3_3.vmdk

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

Check if the following VMware KB article helps:

VMware Knowledge Base

Extending an EagerZeroedThick Disk - VMware vSphere Blog

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's the vmkfstools command with the -eagerzeroed option that you need to use.

As shown in Extending an EagerZeroedThick Disk - VMware vSphere Blog (from which I assume you copied the example) describes this in detail, so go with step 5.

The vmkfstools command line utility is available by default on any ESXi host.

André

Eric3939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the disk path is below. How should I run the command .can you write the correct command

I found the location of the disk with rvtools :

[LUN001] MsSQLClusterDB1/MsSQLClusterDB1_1.vmdk.

~ # vmkfstools -X 100G -d eagerzeroedthick /vmfs/volumes/cs-ee-symmlun-001A/cormac.vmdk

Thanks ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

# vmkfstools -X 250G -d eagerzeroedthick /vmfs/volumes/LUN001/MsSQLClusterDB1/MsSQLClusterDB1_1.vmdk

Eric3939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What can be the problem ? I want to add 10 gb of disk to 500gb. I will add 200 gb disk if the test is success

it works on sql . any data is not deleted right ? after processing?

One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1) ?

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The -X paramater actually expects the final size of the VMDK.

So if you have a 500 GB VMDK and you want to make it 10 GB,  then you would use -X 510G.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
Eric3939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

on both esxi, I just got an error on an esxi. disk size has also not changed in virtual machine properties. also I got an error when power machine on virtual machine

I have two ms sql cluster with shared disk. both virtual servers are working on different esxi host

0 Kudos
cjscol
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the virtual machines are on different physical ESXi hosts then you need to use RDM. With a shared VMDK the virtual machines MUST be on the same host.

Calvin Scoltock VCP 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5 & 6 VCAP5-DCD VCAP5-DCA http://pelicanohintsandtips.wordpress.com/blog LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cscoltock
Eric3939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so I get this error. I do not understand. what should I do? ?  Can I add a disk if I move virtual servers to the same host ? Why is this problem?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A few things:

• Resizing a virtual disk must be done only once, i.e. not from both ESXi hosts, since it's the same virtual disk file.
  • The command you ran on ESX02 is incorrect anyway. It's missing "/volume/" in the path.
  • In order for the new sizes to show up in the GUI, the modified .vmdk files need to be re-read. It should be sufficient to open the VM's settings, and click the Save button.

Regarding the error message when you start the VM. What's the output of:

vmkfstools -t0 /vmfs/volumes/Admin-vPlex-Production01_DS/MsSQLClusterDB3/MsSQLClusterDB3_3.vmdk

André

0 Kudos