VMware Cloud Community
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exempt / Override a VM from an alarm definition

I have a problem where a single VM regularly has high CPU usage and trips the default CPU alarm.  I want to disable the CPU alarm on this single VM but want to leave it enabled on all other VMs.  I found someone with the same problem in this thread, which is quite old:

Re: Alarm override

Is there some way to override an alarm definition, or exempt a particular object from inheriting alarms configured at a higher level?  I know I can remove the CPU alarm definition on the higher level object and manually create CPU alarms for all other VMs, but that is not really what I am looking for because it's a lot of work and it requires me to remember to create a CPU alarm each time I create a new VM.

Is what I am trying to do possible?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

its not that complicated you can first disable particular alarm (i.e. high CPU usage) on vCenter level ... then at Datacenter level

create two folders one for VM you want to exclude from CPU alarm second folder for remaining VMs.

Next just on second folder recreate CPU alarm to get it propagate to all remaining VMs.

When you create a new VM just place it to the right folder with desired alarm group.

Although its not optimal for your case ... you can also disable alarm actions at all for particular infrastructure object.

Just right click on VM - > Alarm - >Disable Alarm Actions  

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

its not that complicated you can first disable particular alarm (i.e. high CPU usage) on vCenter level ... then at Datacenter level

create two folders one for VM you want to exclude from CPU alarm second folder for remaining VMs.

Next just on second folder recreate CPU alarm to get it propagate to all remaining VMs.

When you create a new VM just place it to the right folder with desired alarm group.

Although its not optimal for your case ... you can also disable alarm actions at all for particular infrastructure object.

Just right click on VM - > Alarm - >Disable Alarm Actions  

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would rather not change my current folder structure but I agree that is a solution if folders are not already implemented.  The disable alarm action is an acceptable solution for me since I have other tools that keep track of the things I care about on the VM in question.  Thanks.

0 Kudos