VMware Cloud Community
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Exclude RDM from VM snapshot

Hi there!

I have one VM with pRDM and one vmdk-disk. I need to do backup data from vmdk-disk and totally don't need to backup data from pRDM (this is Command Device from Hitachi VSP).

The question: is there any tricky way to exclude pRDM disk from VM snapshotting? Something like independent flag for vmdk-disks. At this time without deattaching pRDM, is vSphere Client command to do snapshot for this VM is grey out.

Thanks to any advice.

ESXi 5.1U3

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

as per VMware KB: Unable to use Snapshots or perform a backup on virtual machines configured with bus-shari... and VMware KB: Difference between Physical compatibility RDMs and Virtual compatibility RDMs

this is a known limitation. There is no way around either detaching the pRDM or to move the backup (client) itself inside the VM on filesystem level.

cykVM

bradley4681
Expert
Expert

If the RDM is in virtual compatibility mode you should be able to back up the machine but it'll snap the RDM too.

Since you just want to take a backup, look at Veeamzip to do backups, its free and I believe you can select to only backup certain attached vmdks

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos